SC - Wedding Cake

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Mon Jul 14 09:27:37 PDT 1997

The real issue isn't whether or not we accommodate people who let us know
about food issues ahead of time, I think it is whether or not we can
accommodate people who let us know at events.

At my first (and soon not to be only), I had one gentle (out of 141 who
finally ate the feast) ask me about a food sensitivity.  One gentle with more
food sensitivities than you can shake a stick at brought his own food (he was
prepared to pay for the feast because off-board wasn't originally an option).
None of the several vegetarians called me, but I was prepared with vegetarian
versions of the major dishes as a courtesy. This was as a courtesy only, if
there weren't a couple of dishes that converted easily to vegetarian
(substitute milk for the chicken broth, leave out the bacon in a filling,
etc.) then the vegetarians would have been SOL.

I think we need to educate the populace that they need to alert us about food
issues, that we cannot seek people out to accommodate their needs.

How can we do this?

Require that all our event announcements clearly state the name and contact
information for the cook.  State in the event announcement that the cook needs
to know in advance of the event when there are food issues and specifically
what they are.  Perhaps the wording needs to be something like: "Anyone with
allergies, sensitivies, or other health-related food problems, please contact
Derdriu Gilbride at ###-###-#### one week prior to the event so she can
accommodate your needs."

Any other suggestions?

Derdriu

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.