SC - wine and sulphites

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 12:14:57 PDT 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 14-Jul-97 SC - wine and
sulphites by "Nick Sasso @mindspring.
> > Sulfites are one of the natural byproducts of winemaking (I want to
> > say
> > fermentation, but I'm not 100% sure if it's all fermentation or only
> > certain substances).  THIS is why you see it on labels of commercial
> > American wines--it's in the European stuff, too, but they don't have
> > put it on their labels, as it is a natural byproduct.
>
> M'lady, you are correct that sulphites are a product of American
> winemaking, but a little off on the other. Actually, sodium
> metabisulphite and potassium metabisulphite are chemical additives to
> wine.  They are used to kill yeast and sanitize the wine after
> fermentation.  It also aids in preserving the final product as it is.
> Filtration removes the majority of yeast cells, but those left could
> cause problems in off flavor or mutating and restarting fermentation
> (bottle bombs).   Fermentation is the breakdown of sugars (C6H12O6) into
> carbon dioxide, water and ethyl alcohols.  Other sulpherous byproducts
> can produced in varying amounts depending on errors in sanitary methods
> and unexpected compounds in your water, but the sulphites are added.

Actually, my Lord, we are both right.  There are sulfites that are
added, BUT sulfites are a naturally occuring by-product of the
fermentation process.

If I may quote the Organic Wines and Sulties page "Sulfite-free wines do
not exist, but wines low in sulfites or free of added sulfires do.  Let
us explain.  Sulfites are a natural byproduct of the fermentation
process. Fermenting yeats present on all grape skins generate naturally
occurring sulfites in ammounts ranging from 6 to 40 ppm....According to
Professor Roger Boulton, Ph.D. Univeristy of California at Davis,
Department of Viticulture and Enology, even if no sulfur dioxide is
added to wine, fermenting yeats will produce SO(2) from the naturally
occurring inorganic sulfates in all grape juices.  Thus, say Boulton, it
is impossible for any wine to be completely free of sulfur dioxide."

toodles, margaret
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.