SC - Allergies - again..

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 17:35:11 PDT 1997

> I've got a friend in my group who is alergic to the oil in green peppers.
>
> I don't know if this falls into one of the above two categories or not
> but since I'm not sure, others may not be either.
>
> I think such a list should be taken as a guideline. Mainly so the cook has
> an idea of what additional questions to ask when someone mentions they
> have an allergy or asks if such and such is going to be served. I suspect
> that if we tried to cook a feast that excluded everything on the list,
> there wouldn't be much left to eat.

I imagine the list serving as an information source for cooks, so they
aren't tempted to only list the "important ingredients" and not bother
to mention that the oil is walnut oil, or that they used flour to
thicken the soup. Since exact ingredients means the cook answers fewer
questions on the day of the feast, it should be a time-saver. For
example, I often see plain "stock" listed for soups as an ingredient,
so I have to go ask the cook, because often no one else in the kitchen
knows what kind of stock it is. At a big event, this can be annoying
for everyone involved.

- -- gb

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.