SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 05:19:59 PDT 1997

On 14 Jul 1997 16:35:40 -0500 "Mark Harris"
<mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com> writes:

>Both mine and the commercial one remind me or the orange shaped and
>colored
>suger segment candy. Niether was like flavored rock candy.
>
>Anyone else out there made candied fruit peel? How did yours
taste?

I make candied citrus peel a lot. How it turns out depends on a lot of
things. The thickness of the rind is one. Sunkist oranges and grapefruits
make great peel. I know we decided grapefruit isn't period, but it makes
great peel. Thinner peels get harder after you candy them. The only time
I did lime, it was like leather! Lemon depends on the fruit you get.
Sometimes the peel is thick, sometimes it's not much thicker than a lime
peel. The longer you take to make the peel, the softer it gets. You can
speed up the recipe and make it in a couple of days, but the finished
candy will be harder. As for taste, I think it all tastes like the fruit.
I don't use as much sugar as the recipe calls for, so it tastes more like
fruit and less like sugar. If you take your time with the peel, it will
lose most of its "bite" and just have a delicate orange, lemon, etc.
flavor.

>Stefan li Rous
>markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Julleran
kathe1 at juno.com
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.