SC - Non-SCA related Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Tue Jul 15 11:34:45 PDT 1997

>I know this is done, and I know it works.  What I cannot figure out is how
>to handle food service so that the right amount of food appears at each
>table.  Say one table has 8 paid feasters, and other 3.   How do you handle
>this?  Do you serve portions of, say, 8, to each table?  Isn't that
>wasteful?

Since cooks here have started using personalized servers, the server
assigned the tables finds out how many eat at their tables.  He or she then
serves that number and helps someone with a larger load.  It's very rare we
have a shortage of servers helping.... at least the feasts with which I've
helped.  Many times, as in the case of soup, a server will pick up the
bowls and fill them and then return them to the guest.  Or soup is brought
out in a larger utensil and measured from person to person.
It was more of a problem when less people ate the feast.  Cooking has
gotten more popular the last couple of years and we've had very well
prepared and tasty feasts so less people no eating.

>Where are the carrots?  (:-)  And what is the source for this? My wife has
>served Carrots in Cumin (Apicius) frequently, and they are widely enjoyed.

This is not my recipe though I'e eaten them at several events.  I can ask
the lady who first served them.  Now that you mention it, the recipe had
cumin in them as well.  Not all food is period based here although most of
the more experienced cooks try to use foods used within period.  Somewhat
like a transitional period from non-period to period.  Many of our smaller
newer groups tend to do Texas buffet mostly due to newness and some of our
cooks also don't like cooking in a period style -- they think it's sissy
**wink**

Clare

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.