SC - RE: allergies - long-winded response

Debra Hense debh at microware.com
Tue Jul 15 08:34:17 PDT 1997

Margaret O'Farrell here,

I have previously overseen the preparation of at least 2 feasts a year back
in my active period and have a personal interest in historical food
preparation.  Now, back to the reply------------

>The real issue isn't whether or not we accommodate people who let us know
>about food issues ahead of time, I think it is whether or not we can
>accommodate people who let us know at events.

Amen.

>I think we need to educate the populace that they need to alert us about food
>issues, that we cannot seek people out to accommodate their needs.

Except with possibly the first feast I did the announcements went out with
something like "Please contact the autocrat or feastocrat if you have any
special dietary considerations."  And, of course, there were always phone
numbers and addresses listed for that purpose.

Not once did anyone call ahead---but normally there was that one person who
was unhappy because there weren't enough veggie dishes, too many things had
onions in them, and so on and so forth.  With one or two weeks advance
warning I would have been glad to try to come up with some alternative
dishes, but when someone shows up at the feast and is indignant because
their needs/preferences are not met-----oh well.  I would like to clarify
that 99% of the feedback I received from people was very positive and I
certainly wouldn't let one or two people make me feel bad.

I think that if people are given the opportunity to have input and do not,
but then want to complain to anyone that will listen, that we're dealing
with a personality problem and not a cook problem.

Off my soap box now.

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.