SC - feasts in each Kingdom

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Tue Jul 15 15:52:28 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei 7/15/97 12:44 PM

>I know this is done, and I know it works.  What I cannot figure out is how
>to handle food service so that the right amount of food appears at each
>table.  Say one table has 8 paid feasters, and other 3.   How do you handle
>this?  Do you serve portions of, say, 8, to each table?  Isn't that
>wasteful?

Speaking as one who has done several feasts in Ansteorra and is from the
East where off-boarders sit seperately, it is difficult. It is difficult
to deal with full bowls for 10 tables, 1/2 bowls for 2 tables and so
forth and I do not try. I just take the number of tables and fix
bowls/platters for that number. I only adjust if I am told a whole table
is off-board. Since I tend to overcook, this is not a problem and the
servers can redistribute as they see fit. I have yet to receive any
complaints about there not being enough food. Only with pies and pastries
would I make the effort to control distribution more closely.

This system is wasteful and yes some tables do get more food than others.
However, I don't see any other way to do the service without servers
taking a head count and individually fixing the serving bowls to match.
At small feast this might not be a problem by at feast over 100 people I
don't think its worth the effort.

Clarissa
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.