SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Donna J. White 1djw5827 at unixstew.tstc.edu
Fri Jul 18 06:51:23 PDT 1997

         When I was researching a paper on gardening I found out that some
large cities such as London and Venice had thriving nursery businesses,
where people would bring plants into the city for resale.  This also
included many pot plants and small trees.  If you look in the backgrounds
of a great many medieval and Renaissance paintings you can see trees and
shrubs in pots.  There is also evidence that produce was brought in and
sold much like a farmer's market or from day to day salespeople.  A couple
of years ago we did a fair where people brought various things to sell
including vegies and fruits.  Most people bartered and everyone had a lot
of fun buying food for dinner. I think, in most large cities, there was a
great deal of specialization.... mustard makers, butchers, bakers... I
think it is safer to say that country people knew how to do butchery and
candlemaking and such, but in the cities much of the commody making arose
from individual tradesmen.

Clare St. John

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.