SC - Think fast... favorite dish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 22 07:17:43 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>   Very serious victuals indeed. I actually can handle the full marrow
>   version: kinda like osso bucco without the bone, but many people are
>   alarmed by that sort of thing, and I wouldn't serve it to everybody.
>
> That's the kind of meal that people pay SERIOUS dollars for at places like
> Cafe des Artist, in NYC.  YUM.

Could be. Between being the parent of a small child and having worked in
similar places, I don't spend too much time in them now. <sigh>

It actually did occur to me that this dish would be the last thing in
the world one would regale you with. But thass okay. You probably would
have liked the Vegetarian Duck we made last night.

As for the Aloyeaulx, I've found that most treasured of event resources,
a good, old-fashioned butcher, who finds the whole SCA thing faintly
amusing, but loves the chance to flex the old skill muscles. He says he
makes his living selling ground beef and veal cutlets, but when I come
in and ask for two dozen glove-boned capons, his eye takes on a certain
gleam in nostalgic remembrance of his glory years... . When the Old Man
(founder of the business) is in, he speaks fondly of the days of
boneless quail, and when every butcher used to know how to tie a Mock
Duck out of a veal shoulder (and here I was using bean curd!).

I told him about this dish, and we discussed options for mass
production. He thought about it and suggested eye round of beef, which
was one of the less aggressively flavored cuts, while representing
significant savings over the veal. He also offered to slice twenty
pounds or so on the deli slicer, which he did about twenty minutes
before we needed to pick them up, so the slices didn't get all funky. He
threw in the split marrow bones for free.

Truly a good butcher is beyond pearls. Oh, and did I mention he will
make special sausage to order, using your recipe (within reason). You
bring him the measured ingredients other than the meat itself, and he'll
do the rest. Massive headache saver.

Adamantius