SC - art versus craft--slightly off topic

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 22 10:34:53 PDT 1997

I wrote:
  >The convenience of a supermarket is great: but the craftsmanship is lost
  >when the bandsaw is used instead of the eye and skill of a quality butcher.

Clare St. John wrote:
         But isn't that true in every aspect of craft?   I recently have
  taken some bookbinding classes, one with a person geared towards it as a
  craft, who's taken a few classes here and there and the other who worked as
  a trade binder for over 20 years, is certified in London as a bookbinder
  and treats it as an art.  The difference is vast to my mind.

Indeed, it is.  What I was trying to express (and perhaps I failed) is that
the quality of THEIR art will have a tremendous impact on yours.  More than
you might imagine.

	Tibor