SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #209

Nancy R. Mollette NRMOLL00 at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Tue Jul 22 14:06:48 PDT 1997

>Aliper sauce (if I can get a redaction for this)

I think there's one in _Pleyn Delit_ or one of the other popular
secondary sources.  I'll bet several people on this list have
recipes for it.

>Tart of herbes, Ember Day Tarte, and/or Mushroom pastires (from Cariadoc
>
>I want to make almost everything except the meat in advance and
>freeze/reheat.  Do you think the Tarts and Lolsyns/Macrows will do ok?

The tarts should be fine.  I've most often had Ember Day tarts
served at room temperature, but mushroom tarts are excellent hot.
I like Constance Hieatt's mushroom pasty recipe made as an open-face
tart, with extra cheese.  (_Pleyn Delit_)  I made 14 of them the
night before our last event, then reheated them covered with foil for
about 20 minutes in a 250 or 300 degree oven.

>Are fennel seeds available in regular stores or where can I get it?

Yes, I get them in Stop & Shop.

>What kind of mushrooms would you use in the mushroom pastries?

I use regular white mushrooms, cut into pieces if they're so large
they'd make big lumps in the pie.

>What do you sca cooks do for bread at feasts?

I've used unsliced commercial whole grain loaves, the market calls
them "Peasant style."  They're often round or oval instead of
Wonder Bread shaped.  Sometimes I use bread dough from the
supermarket, but baked on site that day (and if I could get dough
other than plain white, I'd do it more often).

>Sorry for so many questions

Questions are fine!  Please, that's what we're here for.

Caitlin Davies
EK
waks at world.std.com