SC - Green peppers

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Wed Jul 23 02:49:57 PDT 1997

I've been away for a bit, and am just now catching up on things, so if
this is old news, I apologize...

> << So, since Lord Ras has brought it up, when was the green pepper introduced
>  to Europe and from where? I would have said the Middle East not having done
>  any research on this. It is a different family than the chili peppers of the
>  New World, correct? >>
>
> It was introduced into Europe in the late 17th century from South and Central
> America. Yes, it is the same family as Capsicum but is a different variety.

	When folks speak of 'green peppers' I think of bell peppers. According
to Organic Gardening, February 1997, the first bell pepper was the
California Wonder, introduced 1928 CE.

> Chili peppers were introduced at a relatively earlier time becoming a major
> agricultural crop in the Meditteranean Basin by 1523 C.E. specifically
> because they provided, IMO, an inexpensive alternative to black pepper.
> However, I would bet my last dime that anyone allergic to the oils in green
> peppers would also be allergic to the oils in Capsicum.
>
> Lord Ras (who even tho' he knows they are period hasn't gotten the courage to
> serve hot peppers yet. :-() )

	Sorry - you lose. A lady in my household is allergic to bell peppers
(all varieties, apparently), but has no equivalent reaction to chilies.

	Yumitori (e-mail me and I'll let you know where to send that dime...)