Re(2): SC - Bread

Wed Jul 23 09:53:41 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>   Adamantius writes:
>   I'd been planning to actually compose something coherent on the subject
>   of finding a good butcher who actually seems to care about whether your
>   meal is a success. However, this seems like as good a time as any to
>   jump in with a bit of pontific--ahem--information.
>
> He's right, again.  This is getting tiresome.....
>
> I've used similar techniques.  We have a local convenience store near my
> home. Once upon a time, I managed to get my hands on several 20 pound blocks
> of cheese.  All it needed was slicing.  I asked the guys at the store what
> they would charge to slice the cheese for my non-profit educational group.
> "Nothing, just give us a couple of hours, so we can continue to service our
> customers".
>
> Their competition has closed down.... I wonder why?  Partly because all my
> purchaing is done at the store owned by "the nice guys".

Huzzah!

> 1. chine \'chi-n\ n [ME, fr. MF eschine, of Gmc origin; akin to OHG scina
>    shinbone, nee]dle - more at SHIN 1: BACKBONE, SPINE; also : a cut of meat
>    or fish including the backbone or part of it and the surrounding flesh 2:
>    RIDGE, CREST
>
> 2. chine vt : to cut through the backbone of (as in butchering)

Some years ago, I was the chronicler for our local group's newsletter.
There was a fighter in our group whose name I had omitted, or
misspelled, or some such, and he called me on the phone and asked me if
I wanted to fight him. Seriously. As in "satisfying honor and redressing
a grievous insult". I told him that I hadn't fought in a couple of
years, but that I was planning to take it up again, and when I did, I
would come and see him, if he wanted me to. Every so often he would
remind me of our appointment with destiny...

Some time later, we were in a kitchen together, when our group did an
East Kingdom Twelfth Night. I was busy doing some butchering, and he was
busy washing pots. He looked over and saw me holding pork loins up by
one end in my left hand, and, with a Chinese cleaver in my right hand,
methodically cutting through the rib bones, with the spinal columns
falling off in one piece.

He called over to me something like, "You know that fight we were
supposed to have? You do know I was joking, don't you?"

He's now a knight, BTW.

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com