SC - Challenges

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jul 24 10:38:10 PDT 1997

Date:          Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:57:31 -0400
From:          Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
To:            sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject:       Re: SC - Bread

Adamantius wrote:

You're right; I shouldn't make generalizations. The color I was
referring to, though, is a pale beige, like cafe au lait. Just a bit
paler than Wonder Whole Wheat. I was thinking in terms of the "white"
bread of Northern Europe through most of period. Possibly the wheat oils
have something to do with it.

However, semolina is made from several varieties of wheat, some of which
are whiter/yellower than others. Certainly the yellow  color was
considered a sign of quality. I remember reading somewhere that it was
dyed with saffron or some other herbal derivative. It is today, I know.

______________________________________

They are still baking breads here (Germany) in what I believe is the age old
tradition with the exception of using steam injection ovens instead
of brick.

Most of the breads here vary in shades of brown. The only  "white"
bread I have seen is kartoffeln brot (potato bread) and that is an
off-white color. They consider American white bread to be like a
cake. The breads are sold in round and oblong loaves, you can buy
half a loaf if you want.

I am still exploring and trying new things and bread is one of my
favorite. Fresh bread is still such an important commodity that the
only things open on Sundays are the bread shops- but only for
an hour.

Ysabeau of Prague
Lisa Sawyer
Ysabeau at interquest.de
Baumholder,Germany

Everything has been thought of before,
 but the problem is to think of it again.
                    Goethe