SC - Congratulations to Adamantius

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Mon Jul 28 07:19:21 PDT 1997

Meriel of the Marsh asks about hand washing at feasts:

I am the very new (and distinctly nervous!) guildmistress of cooks for the
shire of Adamastor in Cape Town, SA. We are just one year old and our
registration with the kingdom of Drachenwald is almost complete, which
is all very exciting and we are planning some appropriate celebrations.
The rialto archives are great, but because I'm still finding my way around
and probably not looking in the right place, I haven't managed to find
anything on washing hands at feasts.

I'm glad that you are finding my SCA Rialto Files (the rialto archives) to
be useful. This is the reason I started and continue them. Unfortunately,
I don't think there is much there on this subject although there may be an
obscure mention here or there in the files. Unfortunately, I am limited
by what has been discussed on the nets or sent to me. I don't ever remember
any detailed messages on this subject although I remember some about the
water being perfumed with something.

This is not a medieval custom that has been copied much in the current
Middle Ages.

Congratulations on getting your new group going. There have been a few
reports on the Rialto from time to time about there being a new group
forming near Cape Town but this is the first real confirmation that it
is still there.

If you haven't looked at it, these files might also be of interest:
new-groups-msg    (18K)  7/17/96    Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
                                       groups.
recruitment-msg   (36K) 11/11/96    Recruitment ideas. bringing in new
members.

Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra
markh at risc.sps.mot.com