SC - Novice Only Redaction Challenge

Wed Jul 30 13:31:14 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> I know of the things that I would have cooked using what was allotted, but I don't know how period it would have been.  I, unfortunately, do not have enough knowledge at hand, as of yet.  To create dishes that are "true to period".  I am working on that knowledge, and that is why I am on the list.  I could have created a heck of a meal with what was offered, but was intimidated by the fact that I don't really want to get looked down upon (ego thing)  if what I created was not even close to documentable.
>
> That is what stopped me from getting involved.

Ah. I fully understand what you are saying. At least I think so.
However, think about this: Some of what we do in the SCA involves using
the classic "COULD be true" philosophy. Some folks try to keep this to a
minimum, and others try never to do it, but many people do. So, for
example, we hear people say that paprika should be in things because it
was grown in Mediterranean countries in the 16th century. This is just
an example, and I'd rather not get into a whole thing about paprika just
now.

My point is only that you have a pretty good idea of what the period
ingredients are, for the time and place outlined in Tibor's scenario.
His list was very carefully considered. Just about each of the
ingredients listed was used in period for several different purposes or
techniques, so, f'rinstance, the almonds could be a thickener for a
sauce, or a marzipan-style paste, or shredded and fried as a garnish or
a milk, or whatever. Most of the ingredients listed are similarly
flexible.

Now don't get me wrong: I can't say that a good working knowledge of
period recipes wouldn't be helpful, but it isn't utterly essential. The
terms of the challenge were in an emergency setting. Perhaps the regular
cook was killed in the siege. Perhaps you were the gardener until this
morning. The challenge only asked what you would cook.

I can certainly understand anybody's reluctance to step forward and get
under the microscope, but if I thought I was going to be humiliated, I
wouldn't have attempted it (You should see me fight!). I was among
friends, and if anyone wanted to be so discourteous as to rudely dispute
my decisions, then that is not my problem, but theirs. You can
confidently respond to any unfair or rude commentary with the words,
"That may be, but at least I'm not a churl. And tomorrow, I shall be
wiser, and you'll probably still be a churl."

However, that sounds pretty drastic and unnecessary to me...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com