SC - herbs in the garden

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:40:34 PDT 1997

                      RE>SC - Novice Only Redaction Challenge      7/30/97

>What would each of *you* use to redact it?

<snip>

  Boiled Perch			("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155)

  "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and maketo him
sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme hit and caste
(th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,and pul him, and serve
him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of parcelly.and (th) sau[c]e is
venegre or vergous."

boiled perch: take a perch and draw[?] him in the throat, and make him a sauce
of water and salt, and when it begins to boil skim it and cast the perch in
and boil him, and take him up, and pull him and serve him forth cold and cast
upon him leaves of parsley and the sauce is vinegar or verjuice[sour citrus
juice?].

take a perch, gut him and clean him
boil water with a generous bit of salt in it, when it is at a full boil skim
it to remove whatever skum has come to the top (dirty salt?)
throw the fishy in for about 15-20 minutes depending on size, long enough for
him to be done but not long enough to start falling apart (sorry I am a chaos
cook, and sometimes bad about exact times and measurements).
take the perch out- take the skin and bones from the meat.
put the meat on a nice plate, sprinkle liberally with fresh chopped parsley
and serve with a vinegar or verjuice (which I would simmer for a bit, perhaps
with some other herbs, to reduce so that it is more "sauce" than liquid) sauce
over it (so that it can sop it up a bit)

I have never had perch, and I think I would prefer poached(steamed) fish to
boiled, but other than that... sounds pretty good.
- -brid