SC - Novice Redaction

Melissa Martines melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com
Wed Jul 30 15:28:09 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

<mustard recipes snipped>

> This makes a wonderful mustard.  You can use commercial ground mustard seed for
> it, but it is much better if you get whole mustard seeds and grind them.  It
> thickens when it gets cold.

I second the motion! I usually use a combination of whole black mustard
seeds, ground freshly in a mortar, with Coleman's, which is commercially
ground white mustard. This gives it a nice texture and an interesting
speckled appearance, while still being a little easier than grinding it
all yourself.

> Good with beef or pork, or for that matter chicken, or mutton, or anything
> you'd consider putting mustard with.

Essential for salt meats of all kinds. Yes, including corned beef, which
is a close relative of several forms of salted beef found in period
Europe. Also salt fish, according to some period sources, although
perhaps the sugar should be omitted in that case. Also: don't forget to
save some for hot dogs, if you do that sort of thing.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com