SC - Novice Only Redacti

Wed Jul 30 17:30:47 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> C'mon, Amamantius, Offer 'em the candy. You've gone this far already.....
>
> Aoife

I was thinking more in terms of the keychain light and the steak knives
if they order before midnight tonight...

> P.S. Have you ever "Made a pudding in a breast/belly of __fill in the blank___?"

I remember an extremely late or post-period recipe for "To Bake a(n)
____ (some kinda fish) With A French Puddynge in His Bellye", if I
remember correctly. I have also boned out a leg of lamb and filled it
with a stuffing of the mixture that goes into a haggis. Does that count?

My all-time favorite one of these is in Isaak Walton's "The Compleat
Angler" (Roughly contemporary to Sir Kenelm Digby or the Diaries of
Samuel Pepys, ~1669 or so). It involves roasting a whole pike, drawn
through the gills, with a pound of butter, the juice of several Seville
oranges, some lemons, pickled oysters and/or anchovies, the liver of the
fish, pureed through a sieve, claret wine, and an optional clove of
garlic. This turns into a sauce while the fish is roasted, and the sauce
pours out of the fish when you cut into it.

> I'm leaving in two days, and I have a week before the meal plan kicks in.
> "Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."

Marvellous juxtaposition! Would you say the child is, in this case, you
or your Lord husband ;  ) ?

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy