SC - Redaction Philosophy: You Asked For It! (long)

Thu Jul 31 09:03:15 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - The siege cook cha                  7/31/97

>a note on what herbs would be in a garden, in mine right now:
>sweetwilliams,
<snip>smaller
flower and several on a stalk close together.  Which are you referring
to?  And are you meaning to use the flowers?  Or the greens?

Actually I have both in my garden right now, many shades of pink and red- I
saw yellow dianthus once, but haven't gotten ahold of any to plant.  Bad habit
from childhood to call them both the same thing.  Sweetwilliam: the one that
flowers in bunches, pinks the one that flowers more singly.  The flowers would
be used- they are kinda hot-radish flavored (though they are supposed to
resemble cloves in some way).  Pinch off the white bases of the petals as this
part tastes nasty.  I don't think the greens are edible.
brid (mka marisa)
(oh and there are pansies/violas for the salad too)