Re(2): SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #218

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Jul 31 11:49:06 PDT 1997

Greetings from Tibor.

John Murrell is debatable.  To those that think that period runs to 1650, it
is of course acceptable.  To those that think that period runs to 1600, and
stuff written by people alive before then is acceptable, it also works.  To
strict constructionists, it is barely post period.  You have to make the
call.

I don't think I know what I am doing with this recipe: but having urged so
many to try things (not knowing the outcome) I'll try too.  Be kind.

I must admit, the start is a poser to me.  To "blood" the fish may mean to
clean and drain the blood out of it.  I haven't much experience with tench,
although I dimly recall they are greatly in appearance like catfish.

I'd gut the fish carefully, leaving as much of a sealed belly pocket as I
could.  Scald it (meaning cook very briefly in boiling water), and dry it.

Make the stuffing as it says: bread, cream, eggs, re-hydrated currants (soak
them in hot water: they expand), some "sweet herbs" (I'd start with oregano
or basil, but I don't know why) nutmeg and pepper.

It says make a stiff pudding.  That means that I'd probably start with
everything but the cream, and dilute as needed.  I'd have to figure this by
eye.  Right now, I don't know how big a tench is!  Do I need one cup, or one
gallon of stuffing?

I'd beat the yolks, gently, just to mix them up, add herbs and spices to
taste, and the fruit.  I'd probably grab about half as much bread, in volume
as I have egg liquid (should be about a quarter cup with the currants and 3
eggs) and add enough cream after it is all mixed, to make a dough that is
just this side of runny.  Pour that pudding into the fish belly, rub the
fish with butter, season with the salt, pepper and a little nutmeg, and bake
in a closed casserole dish.  Probably 20 minutes at 300, or so.  (I'd want
a cooler oven, and a longer time, so the pudding can set.  The fish is
already parboiled, so it won't require much cookery.)

I don't have a clue what the "Orenge Minct" is.  If forced to guess, I'd say
it's a piece of orange peel, preserved, and then minced.  Probably as
garnish.  (Preserved orange peel would, if I guess right, probably be
sugared.)

In a saucepan, take an egg yolk, probably a teaspoon of butter and sugar,
and perhaps a tablespoon of vinegar, and heat it to scalding, stirring.
Just before the egg starts to set, pour it over the hot fish, and it would
gild the fish.  (Shog today means to move something along).  Serve the fish.

	Tibor