SC - chicken on string

Thu Jul 31 11:11:58 PDT 1997

  A good start at period - I'm going to take a stab (I'm somewhere
  inbetween novice and laurel) at redacting it first...comments are
  welcome...

Yeah Ruadh!  Let's go down in flames, together!!!!

  Tench is a type of fish I believe, so take one.  Gut and clean it, reserving
  the innards.  I'd also debone at this point if possible.  (This is all
  kind of funny, as I'm allergic to Iodine and therefore don't eat fish.)

Hmmm.  I wouldn't reserve the guts: you don't seem to use them in the
recipe, later.  Also, I wouldn't remove the fish frame: otherwise where
would you put the pudding?

  Drop briefly into boiling water, remove and scrub the skin clean.  Wash
  inside and out and dry.  Set aside.

On further reflection, I bet the parboiling is to loosen the scales.  Good
for you!

  In a bowl mix bread crumbs (fresh), cream, 2-3 egg yolkes, currents soaked
  in water of wine to replump, chopped tarragon and mint (I'm not sure what
  others I would call sweet for this dish).  Add nutmeg and white pepper,
  pour into a container, place into a water bath and cook until a kinfe inserted
  comes out clean.  Remove from pan and cut into pieces to fit into the fish.

Tarragon?  For myself, only, tarragon screams chicken, although it does make
a lovely sauce for fish, as well.  Nice touch.  I wouldn't have thought of
it, but having thought of it, I approve.

Why cook the pudding separately?  (Because, stupid Tibor, she filetted the
fish.  You idiot.... :-)  I dunno if that is what I would do.

  Sprinkle outside of fish with a little pepper salt and nutmeg.  Make a
  shell big enough to enclse the fish out of a dough of flour, water and
  bit of salt (very stiff) in a pan with sides high enough.  Lay the fish
  in it, add a bit of butter on top and place a piece of the dough over
  the top.  Bake until the pastry is golden brown (i'm guessing 30-35 min).

There is a really neat article on coffins in the latest Serve It Forth.

Have you made coffins without fat?  Do they stand up?  I've made one with
lard, that kinda stood up.  Kinda.

  Remove from the ove and cut off the top crust carefully (I'd want to be
  able to put it on again for presentation).  Throw in some candied Orange
  Peel (ok, that's a blind GUESS - is there some kind of Orange Mint plant?
  you'd probably candy that too to preserve it, i guess....)

There is an Orange Mint plant... but I dunno if it is period.  I bet on
orange peel that was minced, in my attempt.  Gosh, I hope someone has an
answer.

  In a shallow dish over a low fire, mix a little vinegar, an egg yolk,
  nutmeg, some butter and sugar together to make a sauce about the thickness
  of a thick soup.  Bring to a boil (Look - that'll kill salmonilla)
  and then pour slowly over your fish, stirring (which will break everything)
  until the fish and pudding are in pieces and the sauce coats everything.

Cool.

  Place the top back on and serve.

Excellent.

	Tibor