SC - chicken on string (and beef)

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Thu Jul 31 11:49:52 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> I know there is a french thingumbobby, that I cannot spell
(Cremellieare?) that is used to adjust heights of pots over flames.  I
guess you could use one of those for this trick.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I know there's a dingus that's hung from
the crane in a hearth to adjust the pots, but that wouldn't work here
because you need the string to automatically turn the chicken.

> Do you need the skewers?  Or can you bind the string to the bird wing
> and
> legs directly?

You need to be able to turn the bird upside down.  As long as you can
tie the bird in such a fashion so that you can do that -- to ensure
proper cooking -- I don't see any reason why not.

If you omit the skewers, I'd truss the chicken, rather than tie the
strings directly to the legs or wings.  If the legs or wings are pulled
apart from the body of the chicken, they're more exposed and will cook
before the rest of the bird.  If they pull out, then you've got no way
of holding the thing for the body of the bird to finish cooking.

As for making sure it's cooked (re: the bird falling apart into the
pot), I bought one of those "instant" thermometers -- insert for 10
seconds and it gives you the temperature.  I'm pretty experienced with
chicken, but for a roast of some kind, I'd feel safer with the
thermometer.  I figured it was a good $10 investment.

Rosalinde
- --
Donna Kenton * Rosalinde De Witte * donna at dabbler.com *
http://www.dabbler.com/