SC - chicken on string (and beef)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 31 12:40:01 PDT 1997

OK, this is how I cooked the beef for the roman event. It is not from
any recipe except for what I put together. The ingredients are all
'period'.  I made a rub of herbs, salt, pepper and fresh garlic. I used
top sirloin for the meat.  I rubbed the meat with this mixture and
slashed each roast about 10 times to push the garlic cloves into the
meat.  I then smoked it in my weber (too bad this is not a period item
to cook in...sigh)..over a pan of red wine/fresh rosemary/fresh oregano
and the coals I used are a hardwood charcoal.  I cooked until the meat
until medium rare (I use a meat thermometer to monitor). When the meat
was done, I let it cool for 20 minutes, sliced it up, bagged it and
froze it until the day of the event.  OK, the day of the event, I used a
product called 'Better then Bouillon'. It is a concentrated stock
instead of powdered bouillon. EXCELLENT stuff!  I reconstituted it to
make a beef broth.  Placed the meat in pans and let it heat up in the
stock.  I had people coming back for thirds and fourths.  HRM Kein ate
plenty! His server came over at least 3 times for more!  Try this, I can
guarantee it will make some excellent roast beef!

meadhbh