SC - escaping sca-cooks

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Jul 31 12:27:43 PDT 1997

  If you are lucky enough to have a good butcher, you could ask him to
  bard the roast, which involves wrapping the roast in paper-thin slices
  of pork fat. It helps keep the meat moist, and can be removed after
  cooking. If you have an insane butcher, like I have (but also am) you
  can ask for it to be larded. This introduces the fat inside the meat,
  and means that a tough piece of meat can be cooked for a long time (till
  tender) without drying out.

Barding.  oooohhhmmmm  Larding.   ooohhhmmmm  (For bizarreness, try wrapping
with fatty prosciuto.   ooohhhhmmmm, or bacon.  oooohhmmmm)

God, I am drooling.  This is gross.

Larding is not that hard to do, if you have some slightly dull large sized
stainless steel nails.  DO NOT go to the hardware store and by Galvanized or
Dipped nails.  Poison is bad for you.

If you are a purist, blunt the tip of the nail slightly.  (If it is sharp,
it will tear the fibers of the meat).  Make a hole, put a tiny ball of lard
at the opening, and push the lard down into the meat.  Vary the location and
depth.

God.  All I have hear is some instant cous-cous.  I think I'll die.  Must
Eat Now.

	Tibor (Crazed Vegetarian on the Loose)