SC - Re: Pennsic Cooking Discussion

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 31 12:55:58 PDT 1997

  This would make sense; carp (and presumably their relatives) have a
  great deal of dark muscle tissue, commonly known as bloodmeat. This meat
  often tastes of mud, which is why carp are frequently bled live to
  remove some of the gaminess, and also served with strongly flavored
  sauces to counteract this.

YES!  I'd forgotten about blooding fish.  Thanks, Adamantius!  OK, the
recipe should read "Start with a live tenche, bleed it to death."  (No
kidding!)

  Marjoram seems to have been an Elizabethan standard for sweet herbs...

You know, it's strange.  But I can stand in my kitchen, look at each jar of
greens, and "smell" them.  But I can't do it so well from work.  Yes,
Marjoram would be EXCELLENT.

  > It says make a stiff pudding.  That means that I'd probably start with
  > everything but the cream, and dilute as needed.  I'd have to figure this by
  > eye.  Right now, I don't know how big a tench is!  Do I need one cup, or one
  > gallon of stuffing?

  Figuring it is going to fit into a pie, unlike some carp which can get
  upwads of four feet long, I'd say three or four pounds, tops. Just a
  guess, though.

I'd bet slightly smaller. I just don't see 3 yolks making that much in the
way of pudding.

  > I don't have a clue what the "Orenge Minct" is.  If forced to guess, I'd say
  > it's a piece of orange peel, preserved, and then minced.  Probably as
  > garnish.  (Preserved orange peel would, if I guess right, probably be
  > sugared.)

  Either that or fresh minced orange zest. Probably a seasonal choice, to
  some extent.

Perhaps.

  Correction. Serve the fish to me ;  ) .

Fine.  You know *I* can't eat it.