Re- SC - Novice Only Redact

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jul 31 13:31:37 PDT 1997

I've already gone over some of these points but I'm happy to condense them here.

> This is close to how I read it, but I have some questions:
>
> Where did you get the cut of the head bit? From "draw him in the throte"?

Basically.  Since I only know of gutting by slitting the belly I figured that
"draw him in the throte as cutting off the head below the gills.  Also, this
goes to question two.

> If it is just salt and water, why would there be anything to skim off? I
> can see this if the fish had been boiling awhile but that isn't how it
> is ordered.

This is another reason why I decided to cut off the head. Bring the salted water
to boil with the head and that creates a stock where there will be foam.  Also
poaching the fish in stock instead of just water will make for a more flavorful
dish.

> How do you get the "debone the perch and flake the flesh"? From the "pul
> him"?

There are a couple of variations in my mind about "pul him". One is to pull and
flake, or shred, meat from the bones as in pulled pork. "Pul" could also mean
to skin as Tibor stated. This makes sense seeing how some fish is skinned. Ever
skin an eel? Tough work. You grab it and peel off the skin like a very tough
banana.

> I did get the parsley and the vinegar or verjuice.

hey, that's a start!

> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   markh at risc.sps.mot.com