SC - chicken on string (and beef)

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Jul 31 13:57:21 PDT 1997

  As I've said before, I'm an absolute novice at medieval cooking, but I wanted
  to share the following roast recipe with you.  The accompaniment was homemade
  mashed potatoes (are they period?) and garlic seasoned green beans (same
  question).

Potatoes period?  Not really.  They were consumed by a very few Europeans at
the tail end of period, but they were hardly common.

Like my wise friend Steffan ap Kennydd of Silverwing says, you have to
decide if you are a recreationist, or an apologist... some folks look for
documentation that their modern foods were available in period.  For those,
the notion that "if one European at it, or could have eaten it, it's good
enough for me" would allow almost anything.  If you are a re-creationist,
then you want to try and do whatever it was that people then did, or
reasonably would have done.  And many of them would rather skip a meal (I
suspect) than eat animal fodder.

So, when someone asks "Is It Period", I have to answer "to whose standards
of period?"  With the exception of Ben and Jerry's, because that ought to be
period.  (:-)

  First (the night before you cook your roast) mix together the following
  marinade (you may need to adjust amounts depending on the size of your roast,
  mine was about 6 pounds, and time according to the tenderness of your beef):

Cheap cut of meat = long cooking time and a good marinade.  Good choice.

  Use the reserved drippings from your roast and your leftover mushroom marinade
  for the gravy.  I started out with a basic roux (not period, I've just found
  out), added beef bouillon to the roux and cooked for a few minutes, then added
  the drippings and reserved marinade. Rounded out the sauce by adding about 1/2
  to 1 cup of burgundy wine.

I would have used the pan drippings from the onions, too.

What did you do with the onions?  I presume they went on top of the sliced
meat.

If I can be so bold, this doesn't appear to me to be all that authentic, but
it does appear to be enviably yummy.

Oh, and I *think* green beans are period.

	Tibor