SC - Re- "Novice Only Redac

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 31 21:22:55 PDT 1997

On Wed., July 30, ciorstan said:

Place perch in water, cooking the flesh until almost done, but not quite.
Remove and gut it. (Why would the cook 'draw' the fish at this point? why not
before cooking?

I think this is a good question. I would interpret "draw" as cut rather
than gut and clean but I have nothing concrete to base that on. Anyone
have a definative answer here?
<<<<<
 I think I'd probably like the
taste of balsamic vinegar on this, too, but have no idea as to its
period-ness.

Yes, It would appear to be period. See this file in the FOOD section of
my SCA Rialto Files for more details:

vinegar-msg       (14K)  4/28/97    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

Since this recipe mentioned verjuice, this file might also be of interest:

verjuice-msg      (18K)  6/12/97    Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com