SC - Concrete-Off topic

VEARLEY at aol.com VEARLEY at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 08:15:08 PDT 1997

I visited a castle in Colchester, England, as a child.  We were shown the
levels of buildings underneath it.  One of the layers was Roman, and the
guide let us handle a piece of Roman 'concrete'.  He said that what the
Romans made was not the same as our modern concrete.  It is much stronger and
has a different composition.  At that point, they had not figured out exactly
what is was, although I'm sure they have by now.  I believe Roman-built roads
are still used in England in some  rural places.

                         Verena
                          vearley at aol.com