SC - Cherries and wine

Baaastard at aol.com Baaastard at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 10:16:22 PDT 1997

Greetings,

This question was asked:

      The alcohol itself will burn off, as it evaporates at
      a much lower temperature than boiling water. (Anyone know the boiling
      point of alcohol off the top of their head?

It is approximately 178 degrees F.  I don't have my _Lore of Still Building_
in front of me to give you the exact temp.  Sorry.

      (Some people are very sensitive to sulfites
      and they can make you sick and/or give you migraines, if you are prone
      to them. Some foreign and some home-brewed wines do not use slfites to
      stop the fermentation process.

Actually the sensitivities can be much worse than this.  The labeling laws
concerning sulfites in foods and beverages came into existence because people
allergic or sensitive to the sulfites were going into anaphlaptic shock and
dying(sorry about the spelling there).  The aunt of a friend of mine was
actually the person responsible for the discovery that these chemicals can be
that dangerous.  She had a reaction when drinking some homemade wine.  She
ended up on Sixty minutes, and laws were made to protect people like her.

Also, there is a growing trend toward organic wines.  Any wines that you see
labeled organic are guaranteed to be sulfite free(or as sulfite free as they
can be naturally).  Ask at your local liquor store, they are almost sure to
have a couple.

Good luck,

Michael Farrell
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.