SC - Responsible use of Alcohol & the SCA

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 08:33:50 PDT 1997

> Wheah ah come from (here we go again!) we have sometimes had people
> donate kegs of beer or mead to events, since it has long been our
> local
> Provincial policy not to include alcoholic drinks in the price of the
> event. The standard response from our autocrats when this occurs is to
>
> say to the prospective donor: "Fine! Thank you so much for the
> beer/mead/kummis/etc.! I'm sure everyone will love it! You've just
> volunteered to be the bartender to see that it is used responsibly, to
>
> find unexpected additional crash space, and to be the designated
> driver
> in all appropriate cases!"
>
> I'm extremely happy to report that this is usually just fine with the
> donors.

'The Knaves of Grain" have been doing likewise in
Meridies/Middle/otherkingdom events for a couple of years now.  As we
understand the policy, we may continue to bring 80 gals. of housebrewed
beer to Border Raids (eg) as long as there are no funds changing hands
and we are responsible about the service of same (which is part of our
mission statement).  The key for the BoD is limiting CORPORATE liability
and insurance costs.  We are up to our own devices should revenuers tap
us on the shoulders if the proverbial money changes hands with alcohol.

Brew on!  The wonders of producing and serving fermented beverages in
concert with a well coordinated feast are unparalled.  Try it with your
local brewer.  Given 2 months time, most can produce a beer (6 mos+ for
mead) that will enhance and elavate your feast to heights you never
immagined.

niccolo

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.