SC - Responsible use of Alcohol & the SCA

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 16:57:45 PDT 1997

Lark Miller wrote:

> Antipodal Mead
> 15# honey
> 10-15 grams yeast ( my husband likes champagne yeast)
> 5 tsp. yeast nutrient.....

BLUE VELVET (blueberry melomel)

Ingredients: (5 gallon US batch)
15# mountain wildflower honey
9.0# IQF frozen blueberries (any brand)
4 tsp acid blend
5 g sachet Lalvin K1V-1116 all pourpose wine yeast

PROCEDURE:

Boil honey with 2 US gallons water for about fifteen minutes until a
scum gathers and coagulates on the surface. Skim the scum with a
sanitized strainer like a tea
strainer to get as much as possible. The scum has all sorts of pollen,
wax, resins and bee parts that can contribute off flavors to your mead.
The 15 minute boil
minimizes loss of aromatics from the honey. Add the acid blend and quick
frozen blueberries to the hot must (do not thaw the berries).Steep for
30 minutes at
150º-160º F. Pour boiled/skimmed/steeped must to cold water in glass
fermenter, mashing and leaving behind the berries (srain if needed), and
top up to 5 US gallons. Rehydrate
yeast according to package instructions and pitch when temperature falls
BELOW 75º F. Rack after fermantation appears to slow (5 weeks). Rack
again after
about 1 month to leave behind any yeast and fruit carcasses. Let age in
glass secondary in a dark place, and rack when sediment forms. I only
racked the two times.
After you are satisfied it has aged long enough, and it is crystal
clear, bottle into wine bottles.

This is my favorite recipe to date.  It has been replicated 4 times with
stellar results.  You must mash or hand squeeze thoroughly to get the
proper final body of the mead.  Share it with everyone.  It usually ends
up slightly carbonated for me, so champagne or beer bottles may be
best.  It tastes better slightly sparkling than totally still.

Salut!  Brew to the Glory of God and his people!

fra niccolo

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.