SC - Allergies - again..

Anne-Marie Rousseau rousseau at scn.org
Tue Jul 15 23:05:15 PDT 1997

Hi all from Anne-Marie
gb says in response to my comments:>

>The SCA isn't a business, so it's different -- I never have any
>expectation of being accomodated, and sometimes I get forced to pay
>for feasts I can't eat any of just so I can sit with my friends. But I
>still can't imagine why any cook would prefer answering lots of phone
>calls to having the reservations taker simply compile a list of
>folks with common situations.

I guess that makes sense, assuming you can come up with a list of "common
situations". Here the biggies seem to be MSG, which is a common
ingredient in many canned broths. A little legwork and you can find
broths that dont have it. Someone once told me a good piece of
advice...if you do amenu where no single ingredient is in anything, you
should be ok. Makes sense to me. (though we fell off that bandwagon with
our last Elizabethan feast. EVERY dish had dairy, either butter or milk.
Oh well. Only had to tell one person I had no food for her, and that was
only because she called me three days before, when the menu was totally
planned and many of the ingredients already bought. So, she didn't buy a
ticket for the feast and came to the event anyway.

>> Oh...and when I say "far enough in advance", I'm talking about the
>> months and months of menu planning stage. Not the right-before-the-feast
>> stage!
>
>So you would suggest that every ovo-lacto vegetarian should call every
>cook several months before each event? Or is this your suggestion only
>for unusual allergies?

What I would suggest is that if you care what you eat, you should call
the cooks for any feast you're planning on attending. And, yes, for
feasts with me as kitchen head, I have the menu planned several months
ahead of time. It takes us six months to a year to get all the recipes
reconstructed for a big banquet, repeatedly tested, budgetted and planned.

As I have said before, I always try to make sure there's one or two
dishes in every course for lacto-ovo vegetairans to eat, just cuz I know
there's bunches of them in my barony. I'm not making separate dishes for
them, just planning the menu so they can participate in the banquet if
they so chose. Make sense?

I have a good friend who is deathly allergic (swell up and go to the
hospital allergic, not just intolerant) to dairy and wheat. When I know
she's coming to one of our banquets, I make a point of making a list for
her of the dishes she can eat. She also knows enough to bring her own
Elaine-safe food, just in case. She expects nothing but accurate
information, and I do what I can to accomodate her needs.

I wouldnever suggest that all us cooks need to accomodate everyone with
food dislikes/intolerances/allergies/needs. All I'm saying is that if
we're courteous and gracous with each other, we can feed the gross
majority of the folks out there. And that courtesy goes both ways. Never
really had much trouble with that here...folks with funny food needs seem
to be pretty grown up about it and take care of themselves.

- --Anne-Marie, who someday would like to serve a fast day meal...fish fish
fish! :D

- --
Anne-Marie Rousseau
rousseau at scn.org
Seattle, Washington
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.