SC - Think fast... favorite dish

Tue Jul 22 07:40:22 PDT 1997

  It actually did occur to me that this dish would be the last thing in
  the world one would regale you with. But thass okay. You probably would
  have liked the Vegetarian Duck we made last night.

Perhaps it will shorten my life, but I always taste the smallest smidgen of
dishes I think I will fancy.  Barely enough to wrap the tine of a fork.  My
education demands it, and on the quality of life scale, I think the pleasure
of the senses will make up for any lack.  (At the end of my days I reserve
the right to change my mind.  :-)

Vegetarian Duck?  Is that like Tofu Pup?  (:-)

  As for the Aloyeaulx, I've found that most treasured of event resources,
  a good, old-fashioned butcher,

Treasure that man.  There are still a few skilled butchers left, but they
are all too rare.  I envy you that resource.

With my lecturing hat on, I've had the privilege in the past of having meat
prepared by a butcher of surpassing skill.  You may ask "what's the
difference?"  I say "Night and Day".  A proper butcher provides meat that
cooks properly, and can make useful suggestions on the basics of your meal.

If I ate any meat at all, and there was a skilled butcher within reach of my
home, I would purchase all my meat there.  It might be a bit more expensive,
but it would be worth it, both for my enjoyment, and to keep the craft
alive.

The convenience of a supermarket is great: but the craftsmanship is lost
when the bandsaw is used instead of the eye and skill of a quality butcher.

	Tibor