SC - Think fast... favorite dish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 22 07:52:19 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
>   As for the Aloyeaulx, I've found that most treasured of event resources,
>   a good, old-fashioned butcher,
>
> Treasure that man.  There are still a few skilled butchers left, but they
> are all too rare.  I envy you that resource.

> With my lecturing hat on, I've had the privilege in the past of having meat
> prepared by a butcher of surpassing skill.  You may ask "what's the
> difference?"  I say "Night and Day".  A proper butcher provides meat that
> cooks properly, and can make useful suggestions on the basics of your meal.
>
> If I ate any meat at all, and there was a skilled butcher within reach of my
> home, I would purchase all my meat there.  It might be a bit more expensive,
> but it would be worth it, both for my enjoyment, and to keep the craft
> alive.

I hadn't thought in terms of trying to make this a thread subject, but
it occurs to me that a brief discussion on How to Find, Cozen, and
Otherwise Keep a Good Butcher might be helpful. Very often I'm told, in
the SCA, that people can't cook such-and-such a dish in quantity because
they have to rely on either the supermarket or some industrial
meat-packing plant for event feast use, neither one of which provide any
real degree of individual service. I'm also usually told that the
butcher shops are too expensive.

Before I go into my Standard Dissertation on Butcher/Cutomer Relations,
would anyone else care to have a stab (ahem) at it ? Tibor? Ras? Anybody
else?

Adamantius