SC - art versus craft

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 22 08:07:10 PDT 1997

Tibor said:

>The convenience of a supermarket is great: but the craftsmanship is lost
>when the bandsaw is used instead of the eye and skill of a quality butcher.

       But isn't that true in every aspect of craft?   I recently have
taken some bookbinding classes, one with a person geared towards it as a
craft, who's taken a few classes here and there and the other who worked as
a trade binder for over 20 years, is certified in London as a bookbinder
and treats it as an art.  The difference is vast to my mind.
        So it is with almost anything, bookbinding, painting, butchery,
gardening and cooking.  They are people who can cook and cook well,
following a recipe and then people who treat it as an art, develop food,
and really treat it like an art.

Clare St. John