SC - Re: Lombard Rice (fwd)

Wed Jul 23 08:34:07 PDT 1997

Here, with Mistress Johanna's permission, is her recipe and redaction notes.
I've taken the liberty of reformatting them for clarity.

I've served this to modern people, and they LOVE it.  I urge you to try this
one.

	Tibor

  Lombardy Rice Dish

  The original recipe for this dish comes from Bartolomeo Scappi's
  Opera,from Venice in 1570.  I based my recipe on the English
  translation that appears in Lorenza De'Medici's The Heritage of
  Italian Cooking (Random House, New York:1990).

  While the first line of the original recipe mentions both sausage and
  egg yolks, I have omitted both. I couldn't decide what would be an
  appropriate substitution for cervellate (brain sausage--apparently it
  is available, just not locally) and there are no instructions on what
  to do with the egg yolks. (You might wish to try  adding hardboiled
  egg yolks to the chicken filling, or as a garnish.) I have also
  omitted geese. I use white chicken meat in my version.

  The first time I tried this recipe, I attempted to mold it in a
  fluted tube-cake pan without success. I've since discovered that it
  works well in a lasagne pan, although I don't own one deep enough to
  hold 3 layers. I have also successfully used large foil baking pans.
  The dish is at its best hot from the oven with the rosewater
  perfuming the air, but since Lorenza's variation of the recipe was
  depicted in a picnic setting, I have also served it as a cold dish.

  REDACTION:
  1-1/2 Cups raw rice, cooked in chicken broth instead of water
  4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked, cooled, and chopped (if you poach
    the chicken breasts, you will have chicken broth!)
  2 Cups shredded Mozzarella cheese (Approximately)
  1/2 Cup shredded fresh Parmesean cheese (Approximately)
  1 stick of melted butter
  Cinnamon-sugar, as desired (mix cinnamon and sugar to taste)
  Rosewater, as desired (can be bought in Indian grocery stores) (can
    be omitted)

  In a lasagne-sized pan or large casserole, spread a layer of cooked
  rice.  Sprinkle the rice layer with cinnamon-sugar, some of the
  cheese and some melted butter.

  Cover the spices and cheese with a generous layer of cooked chicken.
  Then repeat with the cheese, spices and butter.

  Add another layer of rice and repeat as desired. Your top layer
  should be rice with cheese and spices and butter on top.

  Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered until cheese melts and rice begins to
  brown.  Remove from oven. Sprinkle with rosewater and serve forth.