Re(2): SC - Bread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 23 09:31:42 PDT 1997

S. Noss wrote:

> Kind gentles, a newbie question.  What is a bolting cloth?
>
> Shirley

A bolting cloth is used to sift and grade flour. In pre-industrial
times, whole wheat was ground in a mill, then sifted through
successively finer bolting cloths to get various grades of flour, from
dark whole-wheat to _almost_ white, for the wealthy. You can still buy a
textile item called bolting cloth, I understand, but it usually isn't
used for bolting anymore, so far as I know.

Nowadays the harder wheat we tend to grow and eat has the outside bran
removed by a machine with rollers, and THEN it's ground into flour.

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com