SC - Bread

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 23 11:12:24 PDT 1997

        I also read somewhere that wheat was a more generic term as well,
and that medieval bread was sometimes made with spelt, rye and other
grains.  While the upper classes ate more what we consider wheat middle
and lower classes ate a more mixed grain.  These were denser and chewier.
I am sure that a great of our breads would be a surprise to them.
        Do you think that "Essene bread" was eaten?  I've alwys been
curious about the use of sprouted wheat used as bread. I have Elizabeth
David's book on bread, and can check on what she says.

Clare St. John