SC - Congratulations to Adamantius

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 27 17:00:22 PDT 1997

First off, I should state that I have received several messages from
folks on the list, offering congratulations, encouragement, and general
good wishes. To you all, I can only say, in my best Bert Lahr voice,
"Aw, shucks, guys. I'm speechless!" I'll try to respond to all the
messages individually off the list. This may take a while, but it would
be unfair to try to respond to everything that's been said in one
blanket message. Thank you all!  Mar Joshua's message, though, referred
to some specifics that might be of general interest. If not, there's
always the delete key ;  ) .

> I didn't catch the name of the cloak-maker, but the laurel wreath was
> incredible: about 8 ounces of fine silver, exquisitely shaped into
> laurel leaves on silver wire.

More like ten or twelve ounces. It's pretty uncomfortable: I mentioned
this to my lady wife, and she responded that in her opinion, the
responsibilities of the peerage outweigh the fun, and she wanted to be
sure I didn't forget... . The cloak is absolutely splendid. Much too
nice for a grubby functionary like myself, replete with the requisite
leaves, but with very cool ornamentation from some sort of Celtic
bestiary. It was made by Lady Gabrielle d'Outre Mer, formerly of
Meridies, but now living in Endless Hills, Lady Aoife's home group.

> Speaking for Master Adamantius were
> Bishop Geoffrey D'Ayr, his master, for the Laurels; Master (Baron
> Viceroy) Ian Mitchell for the Pelicans, Countess (Mistress Mistress)
> Brekke Franksdottir for the Rose, and Ritter Emeric Wendell the
> Diversified for the Chivalry.

Sir Emeric spoke of the requirements for the Chivalry as referred to in
the standard Middle Kingdom knighting ceremony. When he got to the part
about prowess with weapons, he said that the candidate's skill with
sharp instruments surpassed his own skill with blunt ones...more along
those lines. Not a dry eye in the house.

  The vigil, held throughout the day, was
> most entertaining, and perchance Master Adamantius will grace us with
> the tale of Master Robin Argyll's contribution thereto.  (Argyll also
> contributed, in his own inimitable way, to the ceremony by morris-
> dancing his way to the stage when the Order were called up.)  Great
> quantities of stout were poured, and there was much rejoicing (amid
> calls of "about bloody time").

This was typical of Master Robin, who is an almost unbelievably fine
cook, but whose Laurel is in brewing. So, I wasn't surprised when he
approached me with a noggin of some foamy stuff. He said something like,
"So, Gustatory Arts Boy, tell me what you think of this! I want
details!"

I sniffed it for aroma. I blew aside some of the foam to see the color.
I tasted it. Good stuff! I said, "Okay. It's an English style ale. Top
fermented. Very heavy gravity. Not a stout. (It was the color of honey.)
A whole lot of hops, Styrian Goldings and Cascade, I think, but with
none of the unpleasant bitterness that sometimes goes with them. So,
between the high gravity and the hoppiness, I'm guessing this has got to
be a barley wine, or an India Pale Ale, probably at least two years old.
Am I right?"

He said, "Do you remember a brew you and Lord Ateno made a couple of
years ago, called Ringwood Ale?" I did. It all fell into place. This was
definitely Ringwood Ale. I figured either Master Robin had done a
redaction of the original source recipe we had used, or he had followed
my own redaction. (Remember I was not at my most quick-witted at the
time, for various reasons.)

I said something like, "So, you made some Ringwood Ale, huh? Isn't that
a great recipe?"

He said, "You silly fellow. You brewed this, not me!"

He later produced a Magnum of seven-year-old stout, which he broached
for all of us when I was greeted by the Order. To my shame, I have to
admit that that is one my clearer memories of this experience... .

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com