SC - Novice Only Redaction Challenge

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Jul 30 13:03:54 PDT 1997

Thank you for the new challenge.  I'm one of those that could create a pretty
good feast out of the ingredients in the challenge but I don't have enough
knowledge of period dishes to make it correct.  I'm learning though.

This challenge is better for my humble wits.

>   Boiled Perch			("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155)
>
>   "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and make
>   to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme
>   hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,
>   and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of parcelly.
>   and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

Take a whole perch, small bass, trout or similar fairly small freshwater fish.
Scale, and gut.  Cut off the head just below the gill slits but leave the body
intact.  Put the head in salted water and bring to a boil.  Once the water
(stock) is boiling, skim the froth and add the fish.  Poach for a few minutes
until the fish is done and then remove from the stock. Cool.

Once the fish has cooled, debone the perch and flake the flesh. Place on a
platter and garnish with parsley and a sprinkle of vinegar or verjuice.

I've probably misread a couple of steps but I figured it was worth a shot.

Yers,

Gunthar