SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #218

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Jul 30 15:03:53 PDT 1997

>Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
>Subject: Re: SC - The siege cook challenge.
>
>  Actually, what impressed me is how they would know what was available
>  in the season, in that era.  I already discussed this privately with
>  Master Adamantius so I understand the background behind his choices.
>  But I am very impressed by anyone knowing what herbs would grow
>  locally and what would be available for a garden in what season.
>
>Actually, I threw that stuff in for Ras, but he didn't come out to play....
>There were LOTS of opportunities to have people come up with something new
>and original.
>
>I'd like to echo Adamantius sentiment: how can we get the rest of you to
>come out and play?

Well, Tibor, it's like this.....I gave you a cute, fluffy, tiny kitten to
play with. When I got it back it was an extra-large cat-a-mount with teeth!

Actually, I didn't answer because that area of the world is sort of a gap in
my culinary education. Now, it would be possible to let the participants
take their pick of world areas, and the results might be more interesting.
It would be possible to provide a list of staples (alternatives for
different cultures. FI, oats for Scotland, White Flour for England, Rye for
Eastern Europe, etc.), and the list of "Options" to choose from.

One interesting thing I noted was that none of our replying cooks seemed to
care if there was or was not a time constraint involved.

Aoife (feeling guilty that she can dish it out, but she can't take it!. You
guys amaze me. And, you have waaaaay too much time on your hands!).
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957