SC - Quick question...

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:10:09 PDT 1997

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Angie Capozello wrote:

> Ok, since I've never poached fish before, or done a lot of these regular
> cooking techniques, what's a good basic learn-to-cook book?  I've done lots
> of breads and desserts, but I'm definately lacking in knowledge of terms
> and techniques for main course types of food.  I think I'd be less afraid
> to try my hand at actually cooking these recipes if I knew more of the
> basics.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Raffaella di Napoli (hoping to be a cook as well as a baker some day)

My brother got married this month, and neither him or my new sister-in-law
knows much of anything about cooking.  So, along with giving them a good
start on an herb/spice collection, my husband and I also gave them a
cookbook. Being a nitpicky cookbook addict myself, I spent a great deal of
time searching for a good, general, all-purpose cookbook (many of them are
just too bland for my tastes).  What I found that I liked and thought
would be a good start for the newlyweds was:

	"Classic Home Cooking," by Mary Berry & Marlena Spieler, ISBN
0-7894-0153-3.

The book contains over 1,000 recipes, and twice as many color photos.
Many of the photos demonstrate detailed instructions on such things as
skinning and filleting fish, boning and cutting up certain types of winged
critters, and the like.  I definitely recommend it, moreso than many
others because of the wealth of illustrative photos and tips throughout.
The recipes featured include contemporary choices and many standard
favorites are more updated than those in many of the old and venerable
classics.

It's a large, harcover book, and sells for about $40 in bookstores.  I
lucked out and was able to find it for about $16 or $17 through "The Good
Cook" (cookbook-of-the-month club) on a big clearance sale (which means
that Allegra the cookbook addict got one too!)

Hope this helps,

Allegra Beati (who also catered the wedding reception, but after a
day-and-a-half of cooking, came down with one NASTY stomach virus and
ended up missing the whole thing!)(P.S.  No, I did NOT get sick from the
food I cooked!  ;-)