SC - Novice Only Redacti

Wed Jul 30 17:30:47 PDT 1997

A quick note on what "draw" meant for that perch....

  "Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte"

To draw would be to gut.  You can gut a fish, basically, two or three ways.
The classic is to cut from claspers to head, along the bottom edge of the
fish.  (Where you cut sole, I dunno :-)

The other is to gut the fish through the gill holes, and not notch the
belly.  I believe the Pike recipe Adamantius wrote about is done that way,
and the belly stays intact.  Good for stuffing.

I suspect that the "throte" means to slit the belly and remove the grotesque
bits.

A classic recipe from my childhood, written in a period style.... I'm
challenging myself today....  (Comments welcomed)

  "Blue fysche ygrilled.  Take {th}e yong blou fish, draw hym clene
  from the throte.  Take garlic fyne, and whole mint foils, and mustard
  ground rough, and put thereto in the stomack.  Wrap, and cooke on the
  gridiron till it be enow.  Serve."

Take young bluefish (also snapper works), gutted and cleaned, and place
minced garlic, mint, and rough ground mustard in the belly.  Wrap in oiled
tin foil, and cook on the barbeque grill, about 7 minutes on a side.  Serve
hot.

I know they grilled things, but I don't think the wrapped them in tin
foil...  (:-)  So I didn't know how to say it properly.

	Tibor