SC - Cooking in a Period Environment

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 07:46:31 PDT 1997

  I would have said that a majority of the surviving medieval recipes which
  call for sweetener call for sugar rather than honey.  In particular, our
  favorite mulled wine (hippocras) recipe uses sugar.

Agreed so far:

I note, however, that your redaction uses boiling wine, when the original
calls for mixing with regular wine.

I have had hippocras made both ways (a friend has a source that involves
pouring the wine through a pile of spiced sugar, without boiling). I have
found that, overall, the taste of unboiled hippocris is superior.

Your mileage and tastes will vary, of course.

  "and two quarters of sugar and mix them with a quart of wine" [original]
  "sugar to 2 quarts of boiling wine" [redaction]

	Tibor