SC - spices to cover spoilage

Tim Allison tallison at mcs.com
Tue Jul 1 23:36:54 PDT 1997

                      RE>SC - Celtic Feast                         7/1/97

 According to the 4 or five books on Celtic history I have been bouncing
between for my own enjoyment over the past few months:

Birds were not eaten, something to do with social or moral taboo, possibly the
idea that most human or sidhe shapeshifters turned to birds (cannibalism?).
Hare/rabbit was not eaten, don't know why (social/moral taboo against eating
something perceived as cowardly and dumb?).
pig and beef most definitely popular and high on the list.
a lot of milk and dairy products.
wine in abundance.
and archeological evidence that shellfish was very popular as well as fish.