SC - SC-Cookbooks

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 2 08:48:14 PDT 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 1-Jul-97 Re: SC - Celtic
Feast "Marisa Herzog"@macmail. (669)

> Hare/rabbit was not eaten, don't know why (social/moral taboo against eating
> something perceived as cowardly and dumb?).

Well, if you're talking about the early Celtic peoples of Britian, they
didn't eat rabbit because rabbits didn't exist in England much before
the Normans.  I believe they were a Norman import  (again, working from
memory, I believe the source is Ann Wilson's Food and Drink in Britian)

toodles, margaret