SC - SC-Cookbooks

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jul 2 20:21:05 PDT 1997

<< I do know
 that the Anglo-Saxons had a reverence for the hare, regarding it an
 incarnation of some goddess or other,  >>

I also suspect that the observation by Ceasar regarding hare, fowl, and geese
was based on religious proscription if , indeed, his reporting was correct. I
find it amusing that he didn't mention they didn't eat mice which were a
delicacy in Rome. :-)

The proscription on hares involved fertility. "Fowls" (e.g. chickens were
used to forcast the future by throing grain on the ground and observing the
order that they were pecked. I am not sure of geese.

What this tells me is that Ceasar would have been sucking up to the local
"big wigs" , of which the local priests/priestesses would surely have been
adjudged a part of and was merely making observations about their particular
lifestyle.

As a side thought on hares, I always found it peculiar that embryo hares were
not considered "meat" and were allowed on meatless days. Go figure.

Lord Ras ( no I don't have the documentation in front of me, I prefer stories
be passed on by word of mouth. :-))