SC - Soapstone in cooking

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 3 05:38:24 PDT 1997

At 6:58 AM +0200 7/3/97, Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

>Cast iron is interesting: I have been given to understand that cast iron
>for cookpots are of a later date than the SCA (or at least very late
>period). Can you provide any information on this? It would be very
>usefull if cast iron pots and pans are useable in "enchanted ground"
>settings.

The question got discussed at some length on (I think) the An Tir list a
while back. My memory is that it looked as though cast iron cookware was
either late period or out of period, but just when it came into use was not
entirely clear. If anyone has any more detailed information, I would be
interested. We use it because it is the most period seeming thing we can
readily get, but would be happy to shift to something better.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/